Sunday 17 May 2009

The story about Dutch gold!

The father of my friend Neville told me a story. He said that there was a man who lived on the West Coast and one night he had a dream. In the dream, he heard a voice telling him to go to a certain spot on Haig backdam and he would find a treasure chest. However, if he heard footsteps following him, on no account was he turn around to see who it was!
The next night, obviously to avoid being seen by others, he set out with shovel in hand. Sure enough he found the spot and dug down to reveal the chest. He opened it to see golden Dutch coins and other golden artefacts. After removing the chest, he filled the hole and set off for home with it. (With the chest, not the hole... stupidee!)

He could hear footsteps following behind him, when he stopped..the footsteps stopped! But remembering the warning he didn’t turn around. That is, until he was about to climb the front-steps of his home. He couldn’t resist seeing who or what it was that was following him.
As he turned around, appearing before him was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, well her ghost that is! She had waist length hair and the face and body of an angel.
She glowed ever so gently like moonlight reflecting off the surface of a still pond. But that was the last thing he ever saw as she plunged her hands into his eyes. There was a brilliant flash in his head! He was instantly blinded! And in his mind, he could hear her say: "You have what you want, now I have what I want, goodbye!"

Panic set in as he clambered up to his front door and somehow managed to get safely indoors. Feeling safe now that he was in his house, he realised that he didn’t hear the footsteps following him inside. And there the tale ended, Mahabir remained stone blind from that day on, until he passed away.

I always thought this was a ‘fairy tale’ to entertain us children. But soon after getting wed, I told this story to my wife. And to my surprise she said it was true! She knew it was true, because she was the great-grand daughter of Mahabir Pandit, the man who had the dream and found the treasure. I asked her what became of the treasure? She said that he had it melted down into gold jewellery and shared it to his wife and children. Sadly none of the inherited jewellery filtered down to her.
Anyway, I felt so proud marrying to someone who had descended from a Guyanese legend.
May great-grand-father Mahabir's soul R.I.P. :-)

PS. I was discussing with my wife, the change I made to elaborate on how Mahabir Pandit got blind. She corrected me by pointing out that it was a man ghost and not a lady one. But I said a lady ghost made the story more entertaining, so I am going to leave it as it is!

1 comment:

  1. 18/5/09 I spiced up the story a bit, at the part where Mahabir turns around. Guyanese Boy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be added to the original post if it embelishes it (with credit to the author) or shown as a comment following.