Friday 15 May 2009

The Backoo

I'm not sure about the spelling, I'm feeling a bit 'stupitee' right now. So I'll spell 'backoo' as it sounds phonetically.

My class-mate like me was rather superstitous and we would often discuss ways and means of protecting ourselves should we encounter a Backoo or Old Haig. I musn't forget Fire Haig, she was the baddest of the lot.

Okay, I'll start with Mr. Backoo. If you wanted to get rich the quick and easy way, then get a Backoo!
A Backoo was a spirit, it was wicked or at the worst down-right evil!
So long as you kept it in a green-glass bottle and it was your slave... all well and good.
You could order it to get money for you and generally make life difficult for your enemies.

It was believed that Backoos ate milk and bananas. If you fed them regulary, they will obey you. Nevertheless, fitting a tight and secure stopper to the bottle was recommended after all: 'better safe than sorry.'
Backoos would often wail at night. My friend told me that he was certain the man next door had one, as he heard it crying at night. He said the man made the Backoo by mixing beer with bananas in the green bottle. I think a bit of 'weewee' was added to the mixture. My memory isn't so clear on the finer details though, perhaps you can enlighten me?

Well, to this day I have never encountered anyone with a Backoo and I don't think I'd like that pleasure for sure. Also, I have no plans to make one either.

1 comment:

  1. I was told that you must be consistent with their food, beware though. If you miss a feeding they will turn against you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be added to the original post if it embelishes it (with credit to the author) or shown as a comment following.